COVID-19 Guidelines and Protocols
To ensure the health and safety of our faculty and students, The Guelph Academy of Dance Inc. is following all guidelines and protocols set in place by Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health, the Ontario Government and the Ontario Dance and Performing Arts Studios Workplace Guidelines for COVID-19.
To read more, please click:
- Dance Safe Initiative: Ontario Dance and Performing Arts Studios Workplace Guidelines.pdf
- WDG Public Health Guidance for Sports and Recreation: https://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/sites/default/files/file-attachments/basic-page/wdgph_guidance_for_sports_and_rec_aug_21_2020.pdf
Download a PDF copy of the COVID-19 Guidelines and Protocols
Arriving at the studio:
- Dancers must self-screen before entering the facility: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
- Students should not arrive more than 5 minutes before their class.
- Dancers will line up outside of the facility in their designated area depending on which studio they are dancing in:
- Purple Studio – entrance and exit to the right of the main entrance
- Yellow Studio – entrance and exit through the main entrance
- Blue Studio – entrance and exit at the BACK of the building (using the emergency exit)
- A greeter or teacher will escort the dancers inside the facility
- Students must wear a non-medical mask and continue to wear it in all common areas.
- Hair should be pulled back in a bun or ponytail before entering the building – teachers cannot help dancers with hair
- Students will go directly to their studio upon arrival and exit only to use the washroom or to move to their next class.
- Everyone is to sanitize their hands before entering and upon leaving each studio. If a dancer cannot use hand sanitizer, they will be required to wash their hands immediately for a minimum of 20 seconds.
Parents and Guardians:
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to enter the facility with the exception for our youngest dancers age 3-6 years (Pre Ballet 1-4, Pre Jazz, Jazz 1, Tap 1/2)
- A viewing schedule will be created by Briana to permit two parents to observe the class on a rotating basis throughout the Fall and Winter.
- Pre Ballet 1-4, Pre Jazz, Jazz 1 and Tap 1/2 families will receive a viewing schedule before the season begins outlining the weeks they can observe the class
- One family member per viewing spot and masks are mandatory.
- Parents who enter the facility to view the dance class must self-assess their health using the Government of Ontario’s tool: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
Self-Screening Questions prior to entry:
Parents MUST keep their dancer(s) home if they answer YES to any of the below screening questions:
- Have you come into close contact with a known case of COVID-19?
- Do you have a Fever (Temperature higher than 37.8 Celsius or higher)?
- Do you have any of the following symptoms:
- Cough or shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Runny nose (not related to allergies)
- Sneezing (not related to allergies)
- Loss of sense of taste or smell
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Diagnosed with pneumonia
- Asymptomatic symptoms – inflammation, pink eye
- Have you traveled outside of Canada within the past 14 days?
- Please refer to the Ontario Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Reference Document for Symptomshttp://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/2019_reference_doc_symptoms.pdf
Leaving the studio:
- Classes will end 5-minutes early to ensure the proper time to clean and sanitize before the next group enters.
- Dancers will exit the studio using the door assigned to their last class of the day
- Parents – please wait and pick up your dancer outside of the studio
- Dancers will sanitize their hands as they exit
Inside the facility:
- Space markers have been placed in common areas and studios to ensure two-metre physical distancing requirements are adhered to at all times.
- Social Distancing signs are found throughout the facility
- Hand sanitizing stations are found outside of each studio, the entrance and exit doors and the washrooms
- Changerooms are closed until further notice
- The water fountain is closed, but the bottle filler will remain accessible with frequent cleaning between uses
- Reception area chairs have been removed to increase unobstructed space
- Label all items – we will not keep a lost and found this season
What to bring to dance class:
- All dancers must bring a non-medical mask
- Students should come dressed in their dance uniform and leave street clothes in the car.
- Please bring a small bag to place personal items – water bottle, dance shoes, character clothing for Grade 1-5 Ballet, phones (powered off while in class).
- Limit the number of items brought to class
- Each student must bring their own labelled, filled, water bottle from home
- Change rooms will be closed. Students will leave shoes on the shoe racks outside of each studio.
- Class sizes are to ensure physical distancing
- Purple studio – 12 dancer capacity + 2 areas for teachers and assistants
- Yellow studio – 16 dancer capacity + 2 areas for teachers and assistants
- Blue studio – 16 dancer capacity + 2 areas for teachers and assistants
- Ballet barres into 6-foot sections, one dancer per section.
- Floors will be marked with boxes and “Stand Here” decals to ensure physical distancing while in class
- Instructors will wear masks while teaching
- Masks are mandatory for Musical Theatre
- Masks are not mandatory for Ballet, Contemporary, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pointe and Tap dancers, but they are strongly encouraged
- Dancers will not be holding hands while in class
- Musical Theatre dancers will lip-sync the lyrics to their songs – masks are mandatory for Musical Theatre
- Older Jazz dancers should wear masks while spotting pirouettes (Jazz 4 +)
What to do if you have two or more classes in one day:
- Dancers must sanitize their hands before leaving their room
- Please bring all items and outdoor shoes to the next studio if changing studios
- If you have 15 minutes or 30 minutes between classes, dancers will wait in the reception room on a physically distanced spot
- If you have more than 30 minutes between classes, please exit the facility and return 5 minutes before your next class is scheduled to start.
- Masks are mandatory while waiting in the reception area
- If dancers need to eat between classes, please exit the facility and eat outside of the building.
- Parents – please pick up your dancer using the entrance/exit assigned to the studio of the LAST class of the day
Washrooms inside the facility:
- Each studio has an assigned bathroom:
- Purple studio – please use the purple bathroom
- Yellow studio – please use the pink bathroom
- Blue studio – please use the blue bathroom
- One student will be permitted to use the washroom at a time.
- Washrooms are cleaned every hour using a Health Canada approved cleaner and sanitizer with an 8-digit DIN
- Automatic soap dispensers have been installed
- Paper towels are available for drying hands
Cleaning and Sanitizing:
- Studios are disinfected between each class – Ballet barres, doorknobs, light switches, stereo equipment and other commonly touched surfaces
- All studios are equipped with cleaner, sanitizer, paper towels, hand sanitizer and other approved cleaning equipment
- Common areas are cleaned and sanitized each hour
- Water bottle filling station is cleaned and sanitized each hour
- The entire facility is sanitized at the end of each day
- We are using approved cleaning products approved by Health Canada and have a Drug Identification Number (DIN)
HVAC system at The Guelph Academy of Dance:
- Each studio’s heating and ventilation is controlled by its own HVAC system. The air is not circulated throughout the entire facility but is contained in each room.
- The reception area is controlled by its own furnace and air conditioner.
- Filters will be changed on a regular basis
- When possible, the outside doors will be propped open
Mandated for all TGAD faculty, staff and assistants:
- Daily health checks for all faculty members, staff and assistants that follow the Ontario Self-Assessment tool: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
- Masks will be worn while inside the facility AND while teaching/assisting
- Wash and sanitize their hands, before and after every class
- Clean and disinfect personal items such as iPads, iPods, computers and other highly touched surfaces
- Enhanced cleaning practices are in place. All ballet barres, doorknobs, shelving, stereo equipment, window ledges and other items are sanitized after every class
- When she is not teaching, Briana Lynch will be in the office/reception area in order to support our faculty, staff, students and parents.
- We will work collaboratively to ensure appropriate safety measures are in place and adhered to.
- Faculty members, staff and assistants will stay home if they are sick and/or not feeling well
What happens is a dancer develops symptoms while at the studio?
- The individual who displays symptoms will be immediately moved away from the other dancers
- The purple changeroom has been dedicated to anyone who develops symptoms while they are in our facility. The floor does not have carpet and is easily cleaned and sanitized.
- The dancer will be supervised by Briana or a staff member in the assigned area in full PPE
- Parents will be called and informed immediately
- Parents whose children develop symptoms will be asked to have their child tested for COVID-19 – advice directly from the WDG Public Health.